Thursday, April 3, 2008

State Requirements

Today in Principles and Techniques, we were talking about having a whole course just on assessment, as they do for the Elementary majors, but for the Secondary level. Since state testing is so big right now, I think it would be a really good idea. Also, Dr. O'Brien asked about having a course for Special Education, even though a lot of it is covered in Ed. Psych. I thought it would be a great idea especially since one of our neighboring states, New York, requires it for certification. After gradution I'm not sure if I would like to teach in New York or New Jersey, since I live on the border, but I would like to have the option of New York, just as back up. But what I don't really understand is why the certification process is so different throughout the country. Shouldn't all teachers in all states meet the same requirements, so that the students will (ideally) be taught almost the same, and meet their same requirements? Wouldn't national certification be a good idea? I don't really see why not. Just a thought, though.

5 comments:

Chrissy said...

I wish there was a special education program at our school because I was thinking of doing that for my masters. I also agree with you the states should all require the same thing. I don't know why they are all different.

Dr. Luongo said...

I agree that we should have standardized requirements...

However, does this kind of remind us of the NCLB requirements for students? Is standardization good/bad/other?

Just a thought...

catarina said...

I was very excited to hear we are getting a special education program! After my Junior Field I am thinking about getting my Masters in Special Ed.

I agree about each state having the same requirements since we are all in the same country. I guess it is something we would really have to look into and analyze.

Susan Mascolo said...

I think a course on testing can easily be incorporated into another class. There should definitely be a class focusing on special education for education majors and minors.

Alisha said...

I agree with Susan. A special education course or program is most definitely needed because there will be one or two students in our classrooms that are special education students. We need to develop professional ideas on how to teach the special education students outside of the IEPs.