Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Going Back to School

Over the weekend, I was talking with my boyfriend about him going back to school. One of his mother's friends chimed in and said that it would obviously be great for him to get his degree, but he should do it soon since "he's not getting any younger". I was surprised she said that, since he's only 21, turning 22 in July. I've always been under the impression that it's never too late to go back and get a degree.

Afterwards, I was thinking about it, and I guess she was right. She went on to say that soon (not too soon) he'll be married and have kids and have a full time job, and not have time to go back. So here's the question: can it ever be too late to get your degree? I would still like to think no. My uncle was in the Navy for six years after he graduated high school, worked after that and didn't graduate college until this past May. He took night classes after working a full time job, and even though it took several years, he was still able to do it, with a 3.98 GPA. So yes, I think it is best if students get their degree as soon as possible, but if it is necessary, it is always possible to go back and get it even after getting a full time job, a family and unlimited responsibilities.

3 comments:

catarina said...

Jackie, I totally agree with you; the sooner the better but if someone decides to go back as an adult it is still a great choice!It is never too late to be educated.

Chrissy said...

I agree that you the sooner you go the better. I know I want to go to graduate school right after I graduate just because I know that it will be harder for me to get myself to go in the future. But like catarina said its never too late to go back to school!

Susan Mascolo said...

It is definitely never too late to go back to school. I am probably going to graduate school a year or two after graduating from here. But even if I decided to was time to go fifteen years from now-that would be ok.

I do think that taking a break after high school has it's negatives. However, anyone who is motivated, and always had the desire to go to college may be fortunate enough to do so.