Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Letter Etiquette

Just a quick thought...

I'm in the process of applying to study abroad next semester and today I had to send in the application fee. I had to write a formal letter to mail in with it, and it occurred to me that I completely forget how to write a letter--headings, greetings, etc. I know I learned it almost every year in middle school, and probably senior year of high school, too. I haven't written a letter since then, though. Everything is either an e-mail or a phone call. I actually had to go online to search how to write a letter, which is kind of ironic. Are we going to have to teach our students proper e-mail etiquette instead of letter-writing? Or maybe text messaging or instant messaging? A lot of offices now use inter-office instant messaging to communicate with each other, so will that be the next thing we'll have to teach? Or maybe something that we're not even familiar with ourselves yet...

3 comments:

Dr. Luongo said...

I hear you, Jackie!

How often do we *really* write letters?

Kind of sad.

What about using a phone book? has anyone used one in the past 5 years?

Susan Mascolo said...

Yea, I can't think of the last time I wrote a letter. I send out at least 5 emails a day, all over the place. I tend to be formal in them, but it's not like appropriate letter format.

Good thing the internet tells us how to do everything! lol.

Chrissy said...

I do not think that I have wrote a formal letter since middle school. I would definitely have to go on the internet to find out how to write a letter. Its really sad.